First Data Chronology

TeleCheck is founded, providing check verification and collection services to merchants and financial institutions.

First Data becomes the first processor of Visa and MasterCard bank-issued credit cards.

American Express buys 80 percent of First Data Resources (the remaining 20 percent was purchased in five percent increments each subsequent year until June 1983).

First Data begins card processing operations in the U.K.

First Data spins off from American Express and holds an IPO (NYSE: FDC).

Ric Duques is named CEO.

The STAR Network is created.

First Data begins Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) processing operations in Australia.

First Data provides card-issuing processing services in Mexico.

First Data merges with First Financial Management Corporation, owner of Western Union Financial Services, Inc.

ValueLink introduces its stored-value gift card program.

First Data Merchant Services forms as a result of the merger between Card Establishment Services and National Bancard Corp.

First Data divests MoneyGram.

TeleCheck introduces its Electronic Check Acceptance (ECA) service.

First Data expands its presence in the European market.

First Data acquires TASQ Technology, a provider of POS devices.

First Data also acquirers VisionPLUS, a global processing platform from PaySys International.

Charlie Fote becomes CEO.

First Data acquires TeleCash Kommunikations-Service GmbH, a Germany-based provider of POS terminals.

First Data merges with Concord EFS. The new combined entity offers greater choice, voice and innovation to the payments industry.

First Data acquires Cashcard Australia Limited and First Data Hellas in Greece.

First Data completes acquisition of FineoBank’s credit card processing unit.

First Data acquires EuroProcessing International, gaining a significant foothold in Central and Eastern Europe, and Austrian Payment Systems Services GmbH, a leading processor of cashless, card-based payment transactions.

First Data enters Korea with the acquisition of KMPS.

First Data forms merchant alliances with International Card Services (Dutch market), BankWest (Australia) and Citibank.

Ric Duques returns as CEO and chairman.

First Data announces plans to separate Western Union into an independent, publicly traded company through a tax-free spinoff.

First Data and Standard Chartered Bank team up to launch Merchant Services, a merchant alliance serving markets throughout Asia Pacific.

First Data International completes acquisition of GZS expanding its position in the German market, and Argencard, a leading payment processor in Argentina and Uruguay.

First Data completes successful spinoff of Western Union.

First Data announces agreement to be acquired by KKR.

Michael D. Capellas is named CEO and chairman.

Merger agreement with KKR closes in September, and First Data becomes a private equity company.

First Data continues its global growth by opening an office in Pakistan, forming AIB Merchant Services with Allied Irish Bank and entering the Polish market by making an agreement with Allianz Bank.

First Data and EUFISERV form Trionis, enabling greater access to ATMs, POS terminals and card accounts for consumers in Europe.

GO-Tag, First Data’s contactless payment technology, premieres during the Democratic National Convention in Denver.

First Data and JPMorgan Chase announce the dissolution of Chase Paymentech Solutions.

First Data and WestLB launch First Merchant Solutions to provide card acceptance for retailers in Germany and across Europe.

First Data and Bank of America form Banc of America Merchant Services, an alliance to deliver next-generation payments solutions to merchants ranging from small businesses to commercial and corporate clients worldwide.

First Data and ICICI Bank, India’s largest private sector bank, form a merchant acquiring alliance named ICICI Merchant Services.

Joe W. Forehand becomes chairman and interim CEO.

Jonathan J. Judge is named CEO in September.

First Data opens a new operations and technology center in Bratislava, Slovakia, enabling the company to further improve its client service and operational efficiency across the Europe, Middle East and Africa (EMEA) region.

First Data, Google, Citi, Mastercard and Sprint announce and demonstrate Google Wallet, an app that enables consumers to transform their phone into a virtual wallet, enabling them to tap, pay and save money and time while shopping.

First Data launches First Data Merchant Solutions, the company's first acquiring venture in the U.K.